Thursday, February 21, 2008

Blue Nile Gorge

Peering over the edge, a river as thin as floss, divides the gorge.  I have difficulty imagining the razor thin Blue Nile cutting such a swath.  The gorge looks prehistoric, as though a swooping pterodactyl would not be unusual.   Seeing the tin roofs far below, glittering like glass shards, I’m brought back to the 21st century.

 

The river’s gumption is unbelievable.  If you were to have told the river it must carve a plain into a 1700m abyss, it would have probably given you the finger.  There is no way, I think to myself, that a thin strip of water could create such a dramatic scene.

 

We slowly descend 1700m and travel 22km to the bottom of the gorge.  Gravel grinds beneath our tires, adding to the lunar dust coating everything near the road.  My hands sweat and leave dirty fingerprints on my book pages as the temperature rises with the falling altitude.  Burning brakes add a rubber fragrance to the decent.

 

…To be continued         

 

No comments: